Bird’s Eye View of the News
- September 14 - The Reuters news agency issued
a report that Pope Francis had given green light to the signature of a two-year extension of the Vatican-China Accord establishing the terms of relations between Chinese Catholics and the Communist Government. According to the report, China still had not signed the extension.
- September 18 - Secretary of State Michael Pompeo in
an editorial in First Things online magazine made a criticism of the Vatican, warning it not to renew the accord with Communist China. He argued that the Conciliar Popes have long been preaching human rights, and especially religious liberty. In view of this stance, the present day Vatican should be consistent and apply those principles to defend Catholics in China, who are being increasingly persecuted, imprisoned and tortured by the government under the accord. If the Vatican signs the accord, it will be supporting China, which will embolden its actions, and favoring Communism.
- September 22 - Vatican officials
criticized Pompeo and defended the Vatican-China Accord.
- September 22 - Donald Trump
addressed the General Assembly of the UN and asked it to hold China as responsible for deceitfully spreading the covid-19 virus throughout the world and contributing greatly to the global pollution. He also accused the World Health Organization – a UN organ – of being controlled by China.
- September 25 - Pope Francis addressed the UN General Assembly indirectly attacking Trump and the US. He presented the Western economic system, Capitalism, as self-destructive because it promotes self-sufficiency, nationalism, protectionism and individualism. He made a plea for a new economical system. He also found indirect ways to praise WHO and China - when he applauded the UN several times and when he eulogized the Beijing World Conference on Woman.
- September 27 - Pope Francis
refused to give a personal audience to Michael Pompeo, who is visiting Italy;
- September 29 - Vatican Secretary of State, Card. Pietro Parolin told L'Osservatore Romano (O.R., September 30, 2020, p. 1) that the Vatican intends to propose an extension of the Accord to the Chinese authorities. These statements made it clear that the accord has not yet been signed. The Holy See is determined to re-enter the Accord, but the Chinese government have not yet agreed.
US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo issued serious criticisms of the Vatican accord with China
Pope Francis addressing the UN General Assembly virtually on September 25, 2020
I read Francis' speech to the United Nations, which was published in whole in the daily Italian edition of L'Osservatore Romano (September 27, 2020, pp.1, 8).
The main point of the speech, as I mentioned above, was to attack Capitalism, the Western society it generated and its lifestyle.
Specifically the attacks are the following:
- The pandemic is an opportunity "to convert, to transform, to re-think our lifestyle and our economic and social systems."
- The wrong choice "leads to self-sufficiency, nationalism, protectionism, individualism and isolationism, excluding the poor, the more vulnerable, and those dwelling on the peripheries of life. … This must not prevail."
- "To ensure dignified employment, there must be a change in the dominating economic paradigm, which seeks only to expand the profits of enterprises."
- "All this calls for a change of road, and to achieve this we have already the resources and the cultural and technological means as well as the social awareness. However, this change needs a stronger ethical context able to overcome the widespread and unconsciously rooted culture of waste. "
- "At the origin of such culture of waste there is a gross lack of respect for human dignity, an ideological promotion with reductive notions of the person, a denial of the universality of its fundamental rights and a craving for absolute power and control that dominate today's modern society."
- "This includes reconsidering the role of economic and financial institutions … which must respond to the rapid increase of inequalities between the super-rich and the permanently poor."
- "This is a propitious time to renew the architecture of international finance."
- "We are witnessing an erosion of the multilateralism, which is all the more serious in light of the of the growth of new forms of military technology, such as the lethal autonomous weapons system (LAWS), which is altering the nature of war in a irreversible way."
- "We must dismantle the perverse logic that attributes personal and social security to the possession of weapons."
- "'Nuclear deterrence' foments a spirit of fear based on the threat of mutual annihilation, which ends by poisoning relationships among peoples and obstructing dialogue."
Francis attacks Capitalism to benefit Communism; above, smiling he receives a hammer & sickle crucifix
Pope Bergoglio wants them to be replaced by another system. The terms he uses to characterize this new system are vague. It should:
- "Reinforce multilateralism" and be an "expression of a renewed sense of global co-responsibility."
- "Not exclude the poor, the most vulnerable and those dwelling on the peripheries of life."
- "Be more fraternal and compassionate."
- "Promote subsidiarity, sustain local economic development, invest in instruction and infra-structures to benefit local communities. This will lay the foundation not only for economic success but also for the renewal of the larger community."
- "Have a global approach to combat poverty and exclusion."
- "Mitigate the negative effect of the climate change."
So, we see that the papal intervention at the United Nations was very precise in its opposition to our Western economic system and very vague in portraying what should replace it.
However, when we consider that the two main systems ruling our present-day world are Capitalism and Communism, we see that if Capitalism were to die, Communism would triumph. Therefore, we see that Pope Francis is not dreaming of a romantic and utopian new system to replace Capitalism. He is actually struggling to kill Capitalism to implant Communism in the world.
The covid-19 outbreak has been a pretext for this attempt; China has been Communism's main agent and Pope Francis has revealed himself to be China's principal ally.